The EASIEST, 100% innocent GF, Vegan, Dairy-free Thai Noodle Salad.
('Thai' is used here in the 'Recipe Title' because the addition of peanuts or lime to any savoury dish automatically makes it Thai and/or Vietnamese and/or exotic, right?)
This is what happened, and it COULD HAPPEN TO YOU:
I spotted a packet of gluten-free soba noodles (100% buckwheat) in my pantry cupboard and then forgot about it. Later, same day, whilst strolling the outdoor aisles of the Union Square Farmer's Market, a table of round and shining neon-purple cabbage heads caught my eager nerd eye. Anything from the cabbage/cruciferous family is always welcome in my cart and my life, because: 1. Sulphurous veg and 2. Phase Two detoxification. (Do not ask, simply trust)
- Shred said cabbage into the most delicate white-and-mauve ribbons using a big sharp knife, drop them into the biggest bowl and then cover them in this dressing:
- 2 tablespoons crunchy peanut butter (organic, 100% raw peanuts)
- 3 Tblspns Tamari sauce (or Soy, if you're cool with gluten)
- The juice of 1 big lime
- 1 heaped, dripping Tbspn of local raw honey
- A half-thumb size of fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- three shakes of you favourite hot sauce
- more lime luice ;)
2. Boil the gluten-free noodles as per cooking instructions on the packet. While they're boiling, slice some mushrooms into a bowl and cover them in tamari sauce until they're swimming.
3. Drain the cooked noodles well & pour them all over your dressed-up red cabbage. Mix it all together with your clean hands (don't burn). Feel the noodles, cabbage and peanut sauce slide all over the place like uncontrollable slippery snakes. Inhale a hit of garlic and ginger scent. Be dramatic.
4. Top the lot with your juicy not-cooked mushroom slices and some avocado if you want to, but whatevs - anyhting from here on out is just details. I'm dreaming up all kinds of toppings for future feasts -- bbq prawn; sesame crusted oven-grilled tofu; shredded spicy carrots; sliced green onions and pan-heated peanuts! What else?!
Oh, the food nerdery!
Bon ap, rabbits. Let me know how it goes.
All the x's and o's.